A colleague of mine, Tashi, introduced a very clever music app to our teaching staff the other day. Tashi, a vocal teacher (and all-around musician – she also plays piano, guitar and violin!), mentioned that she not only recommends this app to each and every one of her growing list of students, but encourages other teachers to take a peek as well.
Called ‘Music Theory Pro’, and available for download off the iTunes App Store, it was developed by Dr. Joel Clifft, a professor of music at Azusa Pacific University and the University of Southern California. It’s used by teachers and students alike on many university and college campuses throughout the US.
So what can you do with it?
The reason why this app is so awesome probably lies in the fact that it is a toolbox full of music theory exercises, games and quizzes, and useful for beginners, intermediate and advance students.
For example, you can:
- Practice naming notes on the piano and on the staff;
- Learn key signatures;
- Get better at intervals, including major, minor, diminished and augmented;
- Look up chords and inversions;
- Do ear training, from easy to challenging for the more advanced student;
- Identify anything from seventh chords and to modal scales;
- Take quizzes to identify tempos and beats per minute;
- Complete various exercises in all of the above to sharpen your overall theory skills.
This app is handy because any student can benefit from it; if you are training to be a classical pianist or contemporary singer, or just want to understand the basic rudiments, Music Theory Pro is chock-full of goodies to help anyone desiring to become a better musician.
And, I think most teachers will agree, learning the theory side of things should be a component in all music training! Having an app of this nature right in your pocket is a great way to motivate students by having an easy-to-understand structure and entertaining learning platform…much more entertaining than scribbling notes in a theory book.
Download it here for $0.99: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-theory-pro/id390788573?mt=8